PETER C. RUGGERO
Board Certified – Business Bankruptcy Law
Texas Board of Legal Specialization
Mr. Ruggero is a skilled trial lawyer with experience in business law. Prior to owning his own law practice, he practiced law with the Texas Attorney General’s Office and the AmLaw 100 firm of Haynes and Boone, LLP. Mr. Ruggero has regularly appeared in court in disputed matters ranging from tax and contractual disputes to oil and gas cases.
Mr. Ruggero's primary practice focuses on creditors' rights. He is regularly appointed by courts as a post-judgment turnover Receiver.
Mr. Ruggero holds a Master of Laws in bankruptcy from the only program in the nation offering such degree - St. John’s University in New York City. Mr. Ruggero’s bankruptcy experience includes representing both creditors and debtors, including litigating preference and fraudulent transfers, lift stay matters, and assumption or rejection of executory contracts and unexpired leases.
Mr. Ruggero was selected as a Texas Rising Star from 2012 through 2019 by the Texas edition of Super Lawyers Magazine, an honor reserved to no more than 2.5% of Texas lawyers, and as a Texas Super Lawyer in 2020 and 2021, an honor reserved to no more than 5% of Texas lawyers.
RECENT SPEAKING PRESENTATIONS
- State Court Receiverships and Other Non-Bankruptcy Alternatives, Western District of Texas Bankruptcy Bench Bar Conference (April 12, 2018)
- Creditor's Practical Guide to Chapter 11 Bankruptcy, 16th Annual Collections and Creditors' Rights Course presented by TexasBarCLE (May 3, 2018)
- Turnover Receiverships, Texas State Bar Legal Access Divsion, Employment Law Task Force (Sept 15, 2017)
- Creditor's Practical Guide to Bankruptcy, 15th Annual Collections and Creditors' Rights Course presented by TexasBarCLE (May 5, 2017)
- Turnovers and Receiverships, Panelist, 14th Annual Collections and Creditors' Rights Course presented by TexasBarCLE (May 6, 2016)
- Asset Investigations, 14th Annual Collections and Creditors' Rights Course presented by TexasBarCLE (May 6, 2016)
- Busting the Homestead, 13th Annual Collections and Creditors' Rights Course presented by TexasBarCLE (May 15, 2015)
- Marshaling of Assets: Hope When Hope is Lost, American Bankruptcy Institute Journal, Vol. XXXIV, No. 4 (April 2015)
- Exiting China: Procedures to Ensure the Orderly Liquidation of a Business, 33 Hous. J. Int’l L. 631 (Summer 2011)
- Exposing Secret Maritime Liens in Bankruptcy, American Bankruptcy Institute Journal, Vol. XXIX, No. 10 (December/January 2011)
- Doing Business Is Not Cheap: How the Eleventh Circuit Has Increased Operation Expenses for Debtors and Creditors, Young & New Members Committee News, American Bankruptcy Institute, Vol. 8, No. 2 (June 2010)
- Binding Effect of Claim Estimation under Bankruptcy Code §502(c), 2009 Ann. Surv. of Bankr. L. Part I, § 2 (2009)
- Contracts for Commodities: Forward Contract or Commodity Contract, 18 J. Bankr. L. & Prac. 4 Art. 1 (2009)